Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fan Cave 2012 POSTGAME

The locker room is packed.

Cameras everywhere, lights in everyones eyes, lots of noise and a splitting headache. Players sit around, cleaning themselves up and trying to prepare for the onslaught. They did everything right that night, they fielded the ball clean, they went yard, and the pitcher threw a gem.

And yet, they sit there and have to field questions like, "What went wrong?" "Where did the mistakes happen?" "Where do you go from here?". They did everything right, but they are sitting in the locker room with no champagne. No streamers. No cigars. No swimming goggles.

They just sit wondering, "Why not us?"
__________________________________________________________________________________

If I know my other contestants well, and I'd like to think I do, myself and 20 others felt the exact same way last night.

We were informed that we would not be going to New York for the Fan Cave.

3 months ago I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had applied for the Fan Cave last year but I was not chosen. So be it, way it goes! So when I see they are having a new format for the Cave this year, there was no reason no to try again. I put together a video that I thought best demonstrated my love of the game. I got to walk the hallowed ground that is old Tiger Stadium, sing in the shower and make my friend  Danny look like a minor leaguer by jacking homers off him. I was happy with what I made and I was going to be completely fine if I wasn't chosen again.

But like most great stories, chance came into my favor when I received a phone call. I made it to the Top 50. Out of 22,000 fans, I made the Top 50.

Holy shit.

After that, I started a crazy campaign to get into the Cave. "Put Some Motor City in the Fan Cave" was my motto. I made postcards, a t-shirt, and a very narcissistic poster of myself. (what can I say, I'm drop dead gorgeous!) I went to Sportsfest to campaign with other Detroit finalists Angelo, Mike and Brad. The day was great, we got great exposure and got to hang out with some very cool Tigers folk.

On top of that, I even jeopardized the very fabric of time by involving a Delorean Time Machine. I felt great but I was still skeptical. I was going to be completely fine if I wasn't chosen in the Top 30.

But like most great stories, chance came into my favor when I received an e-mail. I made it to the Top 30.

Wut?


Then I boarded flight 1921 for Phoenix. Sitting in that chair, flipping on my tunes, trying to guess what the hell this trip was gonna be like was stressful. What was I going to say? Hi! Do you like Baseball? I thought I was doomed, but then something unexpected happened. When I started walking through the hotel, I began to see my fellow contestants. Whenever I saw someone, our eyes lit up like old friends who hadn’t seen each other in years. Bonds were forged in a way I hadn’t seen. Though we were going against each other, somehow we looked beyond that. We instantly saw that our love of the game meant more than a chance in the cave. It meant that for 72 hours, we found people just as crazy us.

People I know kept asking me what I’ve gotten myself into. At times, I was able to answer quickly, other times I was speechless. What could possibly make more crazy sense than having a job to watch EVERY GAME of the MLB season. Throughout out my time in AZ, I was interacting with basically the MLB illuminati. I allow myself those 5 seconds to flip right out, but then reality comes right back in.

Upon arriving at Chase Field, the situation came into sharp focus. Sitting in the conference room, getting the low down from Tim Brosnan and JB, the crazy serious side of this experience came to balance the wonder we all had. I know I was star struck for a moment, but this is when I started to really think about my chances. This was a bigger deal than we thought, and these members of the MLB elite were damn sure making us aware of that. Making the top 30 out of 22,000 still doesn’t ring too loudly now, but when I got back home to lay in my bed, it felt like a monkey was bashing my face in.

I’m not sure how to describe this feeling, but I’ll give it a shot. I liken it to a rabbit having a carrot dangled in front of him. To have it right there in front of me, so close to taste it, I better run, scratch and claw to get it. The trivia, the interviews, the challenges and most of all, the karaoke, it’s all been worth the effort. And on the flip side, trying to see how this looks to my family, it must be strange and wonderful to see their kin going after their dream. Like Grandpa Joe to Charlie, it meant everything to see the e-mail my mom sent to everyone. Just my son going for the dream, no big deal. Best family ever, watching from afar as I try to grab this chance.

Loving this game and trying to get into the Cave is one of the all time stories for the grandkids. From the Tiger Stadium shoot, to speeding to 88 miles per hour in a Delorean Time Machine to make sure I make a good impression, to rocking way farers in an MLB commercial,  this experience has been more than eye opening. It’s a rare peek at what goes on to make these dreams happen. To create a wholly unique experience and pick 30 people to compete to achieve baseball nirvana, what else is there?

I could look at this as a wasted week. But that would be impossible because of the people I’ve met and the challenges I’ve overcome to be here. This could never be wasted.  The journey is the destination and the destination in the journey. I will look back on this and see not one bit of regret. I’ll see that these 30 people put not just themselves on the line, but their very souls to prove why they should be in the Cave.

Congratulations to those going in to the Cave! I'm gonna be hounding you and keeping you on your toes to make the most of this!!!!!   Like Tim Brosnan said, "We don't know what this is yet."

It's up to you guys to mold it into something special. And yes, I'm going to say this......

KNOCK THIS OUTTA THE PARK. YOU BETTA GO YAHD ON THIS ONE!

My many thanks to my Mom, Dad, Uncle Chet, Uncle Jeff, Sookie, Cleggles, Broseph Chester, Danny, Tony, Stephen, Mike, Angelo, Brad, Johnny, My FSD crew, Bridge, friends and family who voted and kept me sane and to Ken K. for letting me drive the time vehicle My bucket list got a huge chunk completed thanks to you guys. I can't tell you what it means to see everyone in my corner. Oh wait yes I can.....it means EVERYTHING. Here's to the next adventure kids, 


I'm also really excited to look back and say aloud, “Wait, did that just happen?”
Yes. Hell Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment