Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Want versus Need

For all of us, we have wants.

A new car, a big house, a private island. Hell, I want a real life Iron Man suit. But one of the great lessons we all learn in life is the difference between wants and needs. Of course, I want a huge theater in my apartment, or a tricked out VW Passat. But do I NEED them?

Take the new iPhone. 

Of course I'd love to be up with the latest and greatest in the tech realm but what am I getting really? With the previous Phone I already have the space to shoot video, have a great selection of my music AND have cool movies to watch. In reality I don't need a new phone. What's funny is this applies to other parts of society. In this case, Baseball.

It's at this point you're probably wondering what I'm going on about.

Well, I'll put it plainly:

Detroit. Needs. This. Championship.

Before we go any further, let me shoot down any negative criticism of the Giants. I like the Giants, if I had an NL team, they'd be up there for consideration. And it's nice to see some competitive baseball on the west coast. Plus, keeping this year of baseball craziness going in the Bay Area should serve as a testament that this game works everywhere.

However.....

The Giants went on an awesome run 2 years ago, Fear The Beard and all. It was great to see the childish Rangers beaten to a pulp. But that's just it. The Giants have won RECENTLY. Now before this gets misunderstood, let me be clear: Winning multiple championships isn't bad, in fact I welcome it. 

But where San Francisco WANTS another title, this year Detroit NEEDS a championship. Yes, it's great that the Giants won at Zombie Baseball and that Marco Scutaro is doing well, especially after an MVP series. But whereas the narrative of Marco Scutaro finally going to the World Series is nice, I'm gonna go ahead and say a city finally going back to the World Series is way more appropriate. Back in 2006, we had a run to the fall classic that ended in what looked like a Globetrotters Game. The Giants have already proven themselves to be a team that can get things done in the Postseason. This Tigers team didn't exactly wow the world during the regular season and yes, we did kinda eff around. Detroit hasn't been so successful after 1984 and since the nightmare season of 119 losses, this team needs to return to greatness. Not just for them, but for the city.

We've all seen the positive effects a championship can have on a city. For Detroit, it means a bit more. We all know what the score has been for Detroit. Bad breaks, an absurd crime rate, unemployment and poor leadership have had this city in a death grip. Indeed there's been unfair press. Ranging from certain people posting 10 year old pics of downtown and labeling them as current to FOX and ESPN's gross agenda to somehow always remind everyone of the riots. Or one rival fan's supremely awful post about our star pitcher Justin Verlander. 

But.... 

There is a renaissance going on here. This has been the grand plan Mike Ilitch has had for some time. Use these great teams to bring people back downtown. For the most part it's worked, starting with the Red Wings in 1996. But there's still ground to make up, still work to be done. I'm not saying a Tigers Championship will cure Detroit.

But it sure as shit will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment